|Statement by Ambassador WU Haitao at the General Debate of the 2018 ECOSOC Operational Activities for Development Segment|
China associates itself with the statement made by the representative of Egypt on behalf of Group of 77 and China. China supports the UN reform of its development system to enhance capacity for implementing the 2030 sustainable development agenda. Such a reform should stick to the following principles:
1. It should be centered on development with poverty eradication as its priority task to help developing countries enhance their development capacity and put development into the global macro policy coordination framework.
2. It should be led by member states to ensure that the reform will effectively take care of the concerns of developing countries. The reform should be oriented towards and focused on aligning itself with 2030 Agenda, Addis Ababa Action Agenda and major General Assembly resolutions.
3. It should follow the purposes of the UN Charter and the principles of sovereign equality, non-interference of internal affairs, and strengthened international cooperation, and respect the development model and path a country chooses according to its own situation.
4. It should stick to the principle of “common but differentiated responsibilities”. North South cooperation is the main channel, and South-South cooperation and tripartite cooperation are good complements but not substitutes.
China thanks Secretary General Guterres for his report, and endorses the principles of development focus, leadership by members, respect for specific country situations, and strengthening monitoring and accountability as contained in the report. China would like to emphasize the following points:
1. When formulating the system-wide strategic paper, we ought to follow the QCPR mandate and focus closely on the main theme of development. The relationship among development, peace and humanitarian work should be appropriately handled to ensure input in development cooperation.
2. The establishment of new country teams should align with country specific situations and their priority development areas to give full expression to leadership by members. The core task of the country team is to help members implement 2030 Agenda and strengthen their development capacity building.
3. The reform of resident coordinator system should obtain a broad consensus from member states, and fully respect the will and actual situation of the host country. The resident coordinator should stick to the development mandate without exceptions, and maintain close communication with the host government.
4. Efforts should be made to support for the strengthening of DESA in its function to coordinate the implementation of 2030 Agenda, the strengthening of functions and roles of regional economic commissions, and the enhancement of the member states’ ability in monitoring and accountability through such mechanisms as ECOSOC, and the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development.
5. Sufficient and predicable development funding is essential for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda. The developed countries should effectively carry out their ODA commitment. The United Nations should deepen its coordination and cooperation with the World Bank, International Monetary Fund, Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank, and New Development Bank.
Thank you, Mr. President.